SPVM logo (Montréal Police Service)

SPVM logo (Montréal Police Service)

Print this pageSend by email

You are here: Home » Road Safety » Cyclists » What to do in an accident

What to do in an accident

Que faire en cas d'accident?Quebec's auto-insurance plan protects all road users. All Quebec citizens are covered for any injuries arising from an automobile accident anywhere in the world, whether or not they are responsible for it.

To be compensated by the SAAQ, the accident must involve at least one motor vehicle. For a collision between two cyclists, or between a cyclist and a pedestrian, it is the Québec health insurance plan that covers the costs.

In the event of injury, here is how to proceed:

  • Call the police immediately from the location of the collision in order to produce an accident report.
  • Consult a doctor without delay; list any symptoms relating to the accident on the medical report, and make sure that the doctor sends the report to the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).
  • Send a claim to the SAAQ as soon as possible.
  • Warn your own private insurer if the collision caused material damage.

To find out more

Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec - Victim of accident ?


Alternate information

Postes de quartier map

» Identify your PDQ «

Logo Montréal

©2004-2014, All rights reserved. Service de police de la Ville de Montréal. | Legal notice
This site is optimized for a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels.